Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Beast


Ignore the small paintings to the left. The large 8 x 4.5 foot canvas you are seeing shot at really bad angles was started during my sophomore year at Cornish and has since morphed. The images above are of this painting in progress with only one set of element pattern on it and without my daughter's influence on it. The object on the painting is an abstraction of a leaf sculpture I made with my daughter in the fall of 2010.

I could not fathom how to move forward on this painting until I could see where I my daughter would take it. I set out a tray for her with paints and drawing tools within my color pallet for the show and asked her have fun and put what she wanted on there. The last image was the final result of what she put on there. My little element of chaos, my inspiration, and my most wonderful gift. It couldn't be finished without her.






After that the rest was all intuition and I knew if anything else happened the pattern had to go on their first. So without obstructing the additions my daughter made I laid out the other patterns for wind, fire, and water. The experience was intense because the way was so clear and the work came together more satisfying that I ever imagined. I had thought that after the pattern was complete there would be more to the work, but when I looked it I was filled with a sense of serenity and I will be hard to convince that, besides treating the edges of the canvas, there is any other work left to be done on this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment