Here is a link to a post that my friend put up after I made this for him. murahahahahahahahahha!
Wednesday, February 27, 2013
Here are some images of the completed carving. The top image shows it oriented correctly and the bottom image shows it sideways. I have yet to etch this plate yet, but will include more images as soon as I have printed a few of these.
The underside of the table is drawn on by my daughter Emily. I gave her a set of drawing tools that fit my color pallet for the show and asked her to draw what came to her mind when she thought about wind, water, fire, and earth depending on which table top she was working on. She got to draw whatever she wanted to add her own special touch to the work. The idea refers to the domestic theme in my work based on the tendency for children to draw on the underside of furniture.
This was a presentation idea of the table that includes the display of the letter blocks I created. I used a mirror on the underside to reflect my daughter's drawing underneath. The idea for the presentation of this table has changed. This table and the others that are still being built are to be hung from the ceiling from the narrow side facing each other from all directions. They would be hanging above a fifth larger table.
More pictures on this project to come when future stages of these tables are completed.
Sunday, February 24, 2013
In the process of putting the first table top together for the show I cut a tile of translucent mylar too small for the table. I was in the process of laying in down on the PVA adhesive when I found this out and in thinking fast I laid the too small tile on a smaller square of MDF as to not waste it. I then finished laying the surface of the table. I took the small tile home with the intention of experimenting on it the next day after work. While I was at work my daughter drew a lovely picture on it using the drawing tools I left out. In response to her drawing I painted around it and treated the surface with my own pattern and embellishments. I edges the piece in sheet music and put a french cleat on the back for hanging. This piece then informed a huge part of my process for the rest of my BFA show. An element that I had been missing was the presence of my daughter in my work. So for each of my work in the show Emily will be apart of adding to the content with creative license to draw whatever she wants. I will only provide her with the tools and materials that reflect my color pallet to use and let her make the content choices. It's been great fun.