Sunday, February 24, 2013

Just Like Home


This painting is called Just Like Home. It was made out of frustration for the obstacles and uncanny circumstances that have been the cause of turmoil. The three hands in the painting represent the grasping, never ending, specters of perversion, hunger, and sickness. Perversion specifically refers to the corruption of programs, institutions, and individuals who could otherwise make a positive difference in the world if they cared for those who struggle. Hunger represents the desire for the events that crop up unexpected that make you wonder if there is enough for food this week and fear if the food to get will be healthy. Sickness is the predictable moment than when time is of the essence and you have to get to work to make money, or you have to get to class for a test or valuable work time, or a meeting that might affect more people than just yourself that an illness befalls you and puts you out of commission so that not only can you not make money but you have no choice but to go to a clinic for medical treatment and acquire further medical debt. I don't list these to complain, they are just simply sets of circumstances that have consistently presented themselves where it involves the completion of work and I always attempted to ignore them. This painting was my attempt to face these obstacles head on, give them an essence, and put them out in the open. I confronted them and embraced them and ever since making this painting my work has reached a finished state. I think this made these things not seem so catastrophic, especially since I know that I have some privileges that others do not and things could be a lot worse. Putting these bastards out there where I can glare at them whenever I want for being annoying feels good and that's all there is to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment