Monday, May 2, 2011

Love for the One Hour Mini Project

Hello and Salutations!

Sculpture two at Cornish College of the Arts has made clear that a blog of some kind is useful. I am slightly resistant to adding more portals with which to monitor things, but I have come to understand how helpful a blog can be. In any case it is for Sculpture two that I create this tangled web and we shall see where that takes me.

As our first little bit of class work in this here blog we have the.... ONE HOUR MINI ASSIGNMENT (OHMA)!  This is exciting because it is a project I can do for funzies based on one premise or another and without the concern of having it finely finished for a class room critique. YIPEE!

For our first OHMA we had to make something out of found materials/reusable materials. I do have a fine little comic strip that I made describing my process, which I intend to scan and add to this blog, but for now the idea I had was thus.

I wanted to warp perceptions and make something mosaic. I have never worked in mosaic before. I found a tiny jar and wanted to mix two opposing elements in the same way that perceptions can oppose each other. So I mixed lamp oil and water in the jar with a tiny poem I wrote. (see comic strip for details). I then broke a larger jar, a cheap dollar store ceramic vase with gaudy art on it, and got out my air dry clay. The whole thing took much longer than an hour, but I was very happy with the experience. I created a fire lamp so that it might be a light in finding the truth of things. Below are some photos of the piece. Tune in next time for another exciting episode of........

ONE HOUR MINI ASSIGNMENT!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment