Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Lost Children

So apparently my computer is against me and did not hold the pics I took of the half plaster wrapped sculpted wire armatures of the the little dolls. As you can see from an earlier post the latex mold making on the little children figures didn't work for various reasons. It seemed another option for making these little figures would be to make multiple wire armatures and sculpt them out of plaster wrap around the wire.

As I made each by hand each took on its own personality. Taking a step back, the reason I wanted to explore this concept in this project is because I am constantly appalled at the level of apathy that has prevented so many good people from finding ways to make a difference. There are always many variables to consider and I've gone rounds with friends on this one, but I can't let go of the fact that this is our world and out there in the dark, right now as I type this, there are innocent children that have been taken from their homes and are being used in ways that are truly an crime against every human being on this planet. As a species sharing this rock together, who are we to not band together and protect our children, all our children?! People are letting the days of looking out for one another slip by and as they do those children, some of whom are not even old enough to say please no, please stop, or save me, are being left to live a nightmare. It's convenient for us that these crimes are out of sight and out of mind so I wanted to put them in sight, or rather gestures of them. The figures are meant to convey an emotion or idea about what that lost child must be going through. A way to put it back into peoples' minds.


After critique I now look at this assignment as a mockup for something else, a way to add some crucial finishing touches to the surface, and some interesting methods of display. With the plaster figures I have now I can try to make the molds again and perhaps have better luck. What is for sure is that this project has been, along with this entire semester, truly a enlightening and enriching educational experience that will continue on in much of my future work. Here are some of the final pictures and my apologies that my process pics have vanished.




No comments:

Post a Comment